Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mothers Day

Hi Team,

First I would like to thank everyone for putting in the effort to make our team what it has become.  With our next game occurring on Mothers day, I would also like to acknowledge your commitments as "outstanding" as we pull a couple of hours out of a day dedicated to our matriarchs  to play the game of Lacrosse. Take a look at this interesting Sioux perspective of mothers to help embellish this special day.

It's been a little while since I've posted anything to this Blog.  So I'll do a little bit of a recap and cover some of things we've been working on at practice.

Our Lower Cape game;  A tough loss, at times we look to blame others for our own short comings.  This time we can see very clearly how an un-objective official ( working the field alone ) can cause a shift in momentum for the preferred team.  US Lacrosse wants three officials judging every game. And in  doing so you would clearly see a balance that is difficult to achieve by a single official.   It will take a lot more people willing to train and become certified before this ideal is met.  Keep it in mind maybe you could take on the role of Official?

Our Ole Rochester game; Our first tie.  From a coaching perspective this was my toughest game to keep all our players getting field time.  So on mothers day when I assign your line positions I need you the player to keep me on my toes.  "Coach it's our shift next!" would be helpful.

Our Record, 1win 3 loss 1 tie.

Practices; We've been hard at work!

  • Ground Balls; scoop through, knuckles to the ground, keep moving, head up for awareness, goosing the ball, kicking it out.
  • Attack Men; why are attacks called attacks? think about it and get back to me!
  • Grip and Rip;  We spent some time figuring out how to shoot quickly after receiving a pass.  The less time spent cradling and giving up room to the defense the higher our chances are to score.
  • Feeding and Cutting;  We've trained our triangles in the box and behind the crease.  So now we know how to get open and be ready to cut in and rip a scoring goal.
  • Pick and Roll;  Setting a pick will stifle our opponents defense and exhibit our ability to work as a team (you may hear me yelling out to a player "pick him" I assure you I'm not yelling "kick or hit him")
  • Communication; I've got ball, I've got man, Midi back, Here's your help, I've got help, Open, Slide,  Clear.
  • Clearing;  During a transition we need to focus on clearing to the wings, avoid the middle of the field. Run at high speed up the wings. Look for a ready Attack.
  • Zone Defense / Fast Break;  Playing a zone position and abandoning your man to secure the goal and sliding to the most dangerous man. Working the triangles.
  • Give and Go; More of the same from above, with emphasis on ball down recovery and passing.
  • Back to the Box; Getting our defense and midis back down field to defend the goal on a transition. 
Well kids I'll see you at 1pm Mothers Day, remember to be kind to the people in your lives, and put your heart into all your endeavors!

Coach Josh

1 comment: